PHP Classes

Connecting to a ms access database

Recommend this page to a friend!

Metabase  >  All threads  >  Connecting to a ms access database  >  (Un) Subscribe thread alerts  
Subject:Connecting to a ms access database
Summary:Ms access in remote server under ldap domain
Author:Jorge Zapata
Date:2008-06-25 04:23:11
Update:2008-06-30 04:18:37

1. Connecting to a ms access database   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Jorge Zapata Jorge Zapata - 2008-06-25 04:23:11
Hi, i want to know if it's possible to connect to a ms access database that is hosted in a windows server under some domain. The database is inside a folder and my domain account has privileges to read and write in this folder. I'm trying to design a php web capable of select, insert and update records using linux. In one hand i've tried using ADODB but linux is not supported, in the other hand i haven't found an open source obdc driver for ms access in linux, it seems that the only available is the one developed by easysoft. The main problem of all this is that i've permissions in the folder but i'm not able to install drivers or any software in the windows server hosting the database.
I'd hope not to migrate the database and i'd very grateful if someone knows if Metabase will work with a Ms Access database hosted in a remote server under some domain (active directory).

Thanks in advance

2. Re: Connecting to a ms access database   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2008-06-29 01:03:50 - In reply to message 1 from Jorge Zapata
The Linux ODBC drivers support Microsoft Access database files. If you can share the remote Windows directory and mount it on the Linux system, maybe then the ODBC drivers can access that Access database.

3. Re: Connecting to a ms access database   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Jorge Zapata Jorge Zapata - 2008-06-30 02:28:12 - In reply to message 2 from Manuel Lemos
Thanks for you reply Manuel, i've successfully mounted the windows shared folder containing the ms access database in my linux box. I've been searching odbc drivers for ms access in linux, but it seems all of them aren't free. Do you know a driver suitable for me?

Regards

4. Re: Connecting to a ms access database   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2008-06-30 03:24:53 - In reply to message 3 from Jorge Zapata
I have not tried this for a long time but I think you can use UnixODBC with EasySoft ODBC-ODBC bridge drivers.

unixodbc.org/

You can also try MDBTools although write access is still experimental if you really need it.

mdbtools.sourceforge.net/

5. Re: Connecting to a ms access database   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Jorge Zapata Jorge Zapata - 2008-06-30 04:18:37 - In reply to message 4 from Manuel Lemos
Muito grato