PHP Classes

Metabase - working example

Recommend this page to a friend!

Metabase  >  All threads  >  Metabase - working example  >  (Un) Subscribe thread alerts  
Subject:Metabase - working example
Summary:working example with forms generation
Author:Rob Glasener
Date:2007-06-26 05:01:19
Update:2007-06-27 22:43:48

1. Metabase - working example   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Rob Glasener Rob Glasener - 2007-06-26 05:01:19
It would be real nice to have working example of populating a form from data in a table using metabase

2. Re: Metabase - working example   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2007-06-26 05:41:41 - In reply to message 1 from Rob Glasener
That is the purpose of this complementary class:

phpclasses.org/databaseaccess

Use it with Metabase and also with the forms generation class. The forms class even comes with nice plug-ins to implement AJAX controls that link select inputs with options from a database, and also auto-complete text inputs with values retrieved from a database query using Metabase on the server side.

phpclasses.org/formsgeneration

3. Re: Metabase - working example   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Rob Glasener Rob Glasener - 2007-06-26 16:14:41 - In reply to message 2 from Manuel Lemos
I acutally downloaded thatand was looking at it. I am really new to this, where do you put the call to selectformvalues? Could it be right after your last AddInput to the form?

Like I said I am still a little new this, so please forgive my lack of knowledge.

4. Re: Metabase - working example   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2007-06-26 17:06:43 - In reply to message 3 from Rob Glasener
Yes, first you need to add the inputs to the form. Then you use selectformvalues to load the input values from database query results.

5. Re: Metabase - working example   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Rob Glasener Rob Glasener - 2007-06-27 04:07:12 - In reply to message 4 from Manuel Lemos
well i am close but I got this error
Fatal error: Call to a member function Query() on a non-object in /Library/WebServer/Documents/phpclasses/metabase/metabase_interface.php on line 28

i was working off your example

$error=MetabaseSetupDatabaseObject(array(
"Type"=>"mysql",
"User"=>"root",
"Password"=>"software"

), $db);
if($error!="")
{

echo "Database setup error: $error\n";
exit;

}
$db->SetDatabase("test");
MetabaseSetDatabase($db->database,"test");

and then later in my code

/*
* Create a databaseaccess object.
*/
$dba=new database_access_class;

and then

$error = $dba->selectformvalues(

$form,
"users",
array(
"id"=>"Integer",
"user_name"=>"text",
"name"=>"text",
"password"=>"text",
"reminder"=>"text",
"email"=>"text"
),
array(
"id"=>"id",
"user_name"=>"user_name",
"name"=>"name",
"password"=>"password",
"reminder"=>"reminder",
"email"=>"email"
),
array(
"id"=>"",
"user_name"=>"*****",

"name"=>"",
"password"=>"",
"reminder"=>"",
"email"=>""
),
" WHERE id = 1"

);

I am leaving something out i know

Thanks

6. Re: Metabase - working example   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2007-06-27 04:40:39 - In reply to message 5 from Rob Glasener
You need to set the database handle variable of the database access class.

$dba->database = $db->database

7. Re: Metabase - working example   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Rob Glasener Rob Glasener - 2007-06-27 05:29:25 - In reply to message 6 from Manuel Lemos
well i got a lot closer, but now I have an error in this line$error = $dba->selectformvalues(

$form,
"users",
array(
"id"=>"Integer",
"user_name"=>"text",
"name"=>"text",
"password"=>"text",
"reminder"=>"text",
"email"=>"text"
),
array(
"id"=>"id",
"user_name"=>"user_name",
"name"=>"name",
"password"=>"password",
"reminder"=>"reminder",
"email"=>"email"
),
array(
"id"=>"",
"user_name"=>"",
"name"=>"",
"password"=>"",
"reminder"=>"",
"email"=>""
),
" WHERE id = 1"

);
unexpected T_VARIABLE in /Library/WebServer/Documents/samples/users_form.php on line 361

am i missing a paren in there? I am never really sure where this error comes from

You have been a tremendous help

Thanks again

8. Re: Metabase - working example   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2007-06-27 08:04:14 - In reply to message 7 from Rob Glasener
It looks Ok. Maybe you are missing a semi-colon in the previous line.

9. Re: Metabase - working example   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Rob Glasener Rob Glasener - 2007-06-27 15:05:29 - In reply to message 8 from Manuel Lemos
well you were right, I was missing a semi colon on the previous line. I put that in, and now the form is being displayed but the values from the record are not there. I call to the metabase query on the previous line and got the fields returned, so I think I am still doing something wrong.The from that I am displaying is basically form_body.html.php from your templates directory.

Almost there.

Thanks again

10. Re: Metabase - working example   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Rob Glasener Rob Glasener - 2007-06-27 22:43:48 - In reply to message 8 from Manuel Lemos
I figured it out, I had lowercase on types of fields - thanks a lot. But I am sure more questions will follow. Great set of classes you have written.